Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Things I Never Leave Home Without

Over the years I have found that there are a few things that are absolutely necessary to have with me at all times. You never know when you will have last minute dinner plans with friends (or someone more than a friend...), when you will wake up late and have to rush out the door, or when you'll have a day that just feels less than amazing. These are my weapons to combat any of these situations, and then some!



1. Bobby pins. Duh. Some days I just want to get my hair out of my face. It's super easy to twist my "bangs" out of my face and pin them back, pull my hair half up, or create a side waterfall braid and pin it in place.

2. Travel brush. I have had this thing for years. I can't stand my hair feeling tangley after walking outside. Last minute updos and ponytails can be a little easier after working out any knots. And sometimes it just feels nice to brush out my hair. Am I the only one that thinks this?

3. Hair elastics. Self explanatory. Some days just require a ponytail. Or a topknot. Or a braid.

4. Hand lotion. For someone who obsessively washes her hands, lotion is a must have. Dry, cracked skin feels awful. I discovered this lotion at a hospital where I had a rotation, and it has been my new favorite ever since. It just works. No greasiness, no fragrance, it absorbs quickly, and the moisture lasts forever. What else can you ask for? You can find 3M Cavilon Moisturizing Hand Lotion here on amazon.com.

5. Oil Absorbing Sheets. I prefer to use blotting paper instead of piling on more powder during the day. A ton of companies make these now, but I've always used the ones from Clean & Clear.

6. Powder. Yes, I know I just said I don't like using powder. I keep this on hand for the times when I find out about last minute plans. This powder adds just a tiny bit of coverage to make up for any foundation that may have worn off during the day. Plus it gets rid of any shine without looking overly matte. Clinique Stay-Matte Sheer Pressed Powder has been a favorite of mine since high school.

7. Hand Sanitizer. I love the Target hand sanitizer with aloe. It has such a clean, fresh scent. Always important to keep your hands clean! Especially now that flu season is in full swing! (Get your flu shot!)

8. Eye Liner. I like to keep an eyeliner pencil in my bag in case the liner has faded on the outer corners or on days I am pressed for time. This Rimmel Scandaleyes Waterproof Kohl Kajal in black is very creamy and easy to smudge along the lash line for a fast makeup look. Also great for creating a smokey eye for dinner or late night plans when you don't have time to go home and freshen up!

9. Lip Products. Four lip products may seem excessive to carry in your bag to some (I usually have about three or four more options), but hear me out. Covergirl's LipPerfection Jumbo Gloss Balm in Watermelon Twist is a beautiful color in a crayon-like form. I don't believe I've mentioned this one before. I love using this color on days when I only had time to swipe on mascara. It instantly makes me look more put together. The "gloss balm" formula is moisturizing, and the color payoff is pretty impressive. I feel like this shade can be worn year round, but I think it's especially pretty for spring/summer time.  Maybelline's Color Elixirs are always in my bag. I like to have a neutral option I can wear for every day, like Petal Plush. Raspberry Rhapsody has been hanging out in my bag lately too (not pictured). Revlon's Lip Butter in Raspberry Pie has been my favorite bolder option to keep on hand. Last but not least, a great basic lip balm is a no brainer. Burt's Bees Refreshing Lip Balm with Pink Grapefruit is my favorite lip balm of the moment. Smells amazing, very moisturizing. It's all about options.

EXTRAS: I'm always prepared for any dilemma. My friends have jokingly (or maybe not jokingly) called my purse a "memaw bag". Other things I like to have that always come in handy:
  • Safety pins- You never know when you'll lose a button and need to keep your pants up!
  • Nail clippers- Get rid of hang nails fast or snip off tags on new clothes.
  • Medicine/First Aid- I like to keep at least ibuprofen and bandaids with me. Sometimes those new shoes are killer.
What are your must-have items you can't leave home without? Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment