Wednesday, November 27, 2013

The $20 Makeup Challenge: collab with In the Pursuit of Novelty

I am so excited for my first collab with Christina from In the Pursuit of Novelty. We bonded over our love of makeup, and she has inspired me to try new looks ever since!

For this challenge, you must come up with a complete look for less than $20, brushes and all! I'm not going to lie...I really struggled with this!! My strategy was to pick one feature to focus on. I debated between a bold lip or a smokey eye, and as I've mentioned before, eyes are my favorite to play up! Naturally, I went with the smokey eye look. I couponed like crazy to get under the limit. I managed to get away with a total of $19.64.


I came away with four products: Covergirl + Olay Concealer Balm, Rimmel Kate Moss lipstick in #17, L'Oreal Voluminous Million Lashes Excess Mascara, and Maybelline Eye Studio Master Smokey Longwearing Shadow-Pencil in Smoking Charcoal.

I used the concealer to cover under eye circles and to cover up redness. This actually worked really well under the eyes, but it got a little too dewy on the rest of my face.

 
Next, I started on the eyes. I had wanted to try this Maybelline pencil for a long time. I'm not sure I love it, but it is a super easy way to get smokey eyes really fast! It was a little difficult to blend if you didn't do it quickly. I started with drawing a line across the top lid and smudging it out to the crease with my fingers. Then I drew a V on the outer corner to add a little more depth and shading. After blending this out, I drew another thick line across the top lash line and blended this upward with the smudger on the other end of the pencil. To finish up, I drew a thin line across the bottom lashes and blended this out with the smudger. The mascara was by far my favorite products of the bunch. The formula was awesome, and the brush made it easy to get clump free lashes. Fast, easy, simple.
 


I used the same product for lips and cheeks. This is an awesome tip! When my blush has faded by afternoon, I've used lipstick to dot on my cheeks and blend in for a little more color.


And that's it! Just four products to get a whole look! Hope you enjoyed it, and don't for get to check out Christina's look on her blog!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment