Monday, October 28, 2013

October Favorites

These are a few things I have reached for time and time again throughout this month. I'd love to know what you think of these products and if you love them as much as I do!

1. They're Real! mascara by Benefit Cosmetics $23

 
I almost never buy high-end mascaras. I've tried several...Dior Diorshow mascara, LancĂ´me Hypnose, Benefit BADgal Lash, Estee Lauder Double Wear, Blinc mascara, etc. None have ever impressed me, and they dry out so quickly it's just not worth the extra money in my opinion. I have been using (and loving) Maybelline's The Rocket mascara. However, I got a sample of this mascara in my birthday gift from Sephora, and I love this stuff! I have to admit...I only paid $7.25 on Birchbox.com using a discount and my Birchbox points. Not a bad deal, right?
 
My eyelashes look nonexistent without mascara. They are super straight and pretty skimpy. With this mascara, it looks like I have a ton of thick lashes. It does an awesome job of fanning them out and making them look separated and pretty. On top of all that, it holds the curl in my lashes until I take it off at the end of the day.
 
 
I love the brush with this mascara. It has rubberized bristles, but the end of the brush is what I like the most. It does an amazing job of grabbing those inner eyelashes and separating and defining single lashes for a flirtier look. That's one complaint I have with The Rocket mascara. The end of the brush is flat and can make your lashes clump together if you're not careful.
 
If you're looking to try a new mascara, this one is totally worth a try!
 
 
2. Maybelline's Fit Me Concealer $6
 
 
I bought this after seeing Jaclyn Hill use it on her YouTube channel. This is a really great concealer! The consistency is actually pretty thin, but it covers so well. It's not drying, and works well with the other foundations I've used. I use it on undereye circles or any blemishes that may pop up. At about $6 (depending on the store), you can't go wrong.
 
4. Maybelline's Color Elixir $8
 
 
I wrote about these in my "Fall Essentials" post, and I am in love with these lip glosses! I'm not even sure "lip gloss" is the correct classification for this product. It is so much more. The consistency is like a lip gloss, the color is like a lipstick, and I have found it actually has pretty impressive staying power. Rose Redefined and Raspberry Rhapsody have been my favorite colors. Since the colors don't show up great in the tube, here are swatches of these two shades:
 

 
 
Raspberry Rhapsody is on top, and Rose Redefined is on bottom. I prefer to wear these alone instead of over a lipstick. I tried layering Raspberry Rhapsody over Revlon's Lip Butter in Raspberry Pie, and I wasn't too crazy about the combo. For me, each look better on their own. Rose Redefined adds just the perfect pink/rose color to your lips that goes with almost every look. I can't say enough good things about the Color Elixirs!
 
5. Laura Mercier Foundation Powder $40
 
 


I debated including this in my favorites. It is my all time favorite foundation. The reason I almost didn't include it is because, to my despair, it is being discontinued and replaced with garbage.

Let me start with why this one is so amazing. This stuff makes your skin look AMAZING. Flawless. I have combo skin and often powders and powder foundations can dry my skin out and make it look flakey around my nose and mouth (gross). Not this one. It makes your skin look perfect in person, but it also makes your skin look equally gorgeous in pictures or on camera. It is super easy and fast to use. I am always running late. Always. I can't help it. It doesn't matter if I wake up thirty minutes before I have to leave or three hours. This product is a huge time saver for me! I like to spend more time doing eye makeup than on the rest of my face, so it's nice to have a product that gets the job done quickly. I normally don't even need concealer when I use this foundation. It covers dark circles and blemishes without needing extra products to cover anything up. It doesn't look cakey or powdery on the skin. Just perfection.

Now, I don't normally say anything bad about products I don't like. In this case, I really feel like an amazing product is being replaced with something that is not even close to the same level. The Smooth Finish Foundation Powder is what Laura Mercier has produced to take the place of the original Foundation Powder. This is how the company describes the new product: "A second-skin, oil-free powder foundation that can be used wet or dry. This silky smooth innovation offers a natural veil that imparts a color-true finish that lasts up to eight hours. It glides on effortlessly, camouflages, hydrates, and blurs fine lines, never settling into them. Ultra fine micronized pigments flex with skin for coverage that is even and flawless. Use it as a sheer to medium powder or build coverage using it wet." No. Just no. None of this is true. When I couldn't find my trusty favorite in Sephora, I asked why there wasn't a place for it anymore. The girl confirmed my worst nightmare...it was being discontinued. She continued to inform me that this new product promised to be even better than the original. I was very skeptical and looked at other options, but decided to bite the bullet and try the new foundation. (Might I mention it is also a little more expensive at $45.) This looks like powder on top of your skin, the coverage isn't even comparable to the original powder, it made me look like I have serious wrinkles and lines, and overall looked terrible. I was SO disappointed. I returned it the next day and ordered two of the original Foundation Powders online.

You can still find it online at Sephora, although two colors are out of stock right now. All shades are sold out on the Laura Mercier website.

If you have tried the new powder and love it, I'm genuinely happy for you. I wish it worked as well for me. If there is anyone reading this who has anything to do with Laura Mercier, please, PLEASE, PLEASE do not let this product be discontinued!!!!

If you know of a product that is as amazing as the original LM Foundation Powder, please let me know. I will be looking for a new one after the two compacts I have run out.

6. Batiste Dry Shampoo $8

 
I try really hard to go a couple days between washing my hair. Some days it's just not possible, but other days, this product is a life saver. It seems like I've tried a million dry shampoos, but this one has definitely been the best I've found. It actually makes my hair look clean, whereas others have only left a nice smell and didn't make much of a difference in how oily my hair looked. However, I won't get this particular scent again. It makes me think of a bathroom freshener. Not necessarily a bad smell, but I don't want to smell like a bottle of Glade, either.
 
7. Devacurl AnGEL (now known as Devacurl Light Defining Gel $18.95 for 12 oz.)
 
 
I have used this gel for years. My hair is naturally wavy/very loose curls. I always come back to this product after trying other curly hair gels or creams. It always makes my waves/curls look defined but touchable. It may make your hair feel SLIGHTLY cruchy, but a couple of scrunches and the crunch is gone. It is actually made to work that way. It forms a "cast" to enhance each curl. It doesn't leave any residue or flakiness in your hair. I always buy this from Ulta when I get one of the coupons in the mail.
 
 
I highly recommend any of these products. Let me know if you try them and what you think!


No comments:

Post a Comment